Executive Function Skills & Self-Regulation are the Keys to Academic and Life-Long Success
Each week I have the honor to speak with teachers and clinicians around the world. We have valuable meetings about distance learning, executive function in the classroom, improving self-regulation, reducing student stress, reducing the education gap in poverty, dyslexia, numeracy, and more. Up until March 12, 2020, I was traveling to several cities each month teaching executive functions and cognitive-motor movement to motivated teachers, administrators, parents, and clinicians. Over the past 120 days, we have been working tirelessly to meet the needs of schools and educational leadership as we field requests for executive function trainings and self-regulation activities teachers and clinicians can implement to help students, no matter where are, achieve an alert state of calm for better learning and prosocial behavior. We can ease the pressure on our teachers and the stress on our students if we apply current neuroscience research in the development of our hybrid, classroom and distance learning educational programming TODAY!
We have the proven activities.
We have the motivated teachers, leaders, clinicians, and parents who are ready to improve the trajectory of students’ learning.
We believe that if more legislators, superintendents, teachers, and leaders knew how children REALLY learn, we could quickly prepare to deliver high-quality academic content in a manner conducive to in-person, on-line, and hybrid teaching.
We CAN significantly improve our children’s learning with applied neuroscience! 10,000+ educators, students, clinicians, and parents + 25 years later…. Learn HOW with ENGAGE.
- We begin with the developmental precursors in learning that are well-known in the UK, Italy, Australia, and Singapore yet virtually ignored in the United States.
- We teach you the science WHY moving is so important to learning, particularly in Grades PreK-6th while the brain is so neuroplastic and influenced by your teaching (content) delivery, communication, and movement.
- We provide you with the pre-publication content from our upcoming program – CogniMoves! So you can print, project and even screen share the activities with your students.
Why is enhancing executive functions in the early years and beyond so important?
- Executive Functions are the essential cognitive skills that help us think, plan, learn, and interact prosocially with others in everyday life. Executive Functions such as self-regulation, attention, memory, self-control, and cognitive flexibility are shown to be better predictors of academic, social, and job success than is IQ.
- As early as two years of age, executive functions are a significant predictor of both emergent mathematics and literacy at age five (Mulder et al., 2017).
- Poverty and at-risk environments pose substantial risks to the development of the executive function, social-emotional, and self-regulation skills critical to academic, social, and employment success (Haft & Hoeft, 2017).
- Recent scientific studies show that we can enhance children’s executive function skills with brain literacy direct instruction, evidence-based computer-delivered cognitive skills training programs, mindfulness programs, and cognitive-physical activities, Brain Futures, 2019.
- Educators and clinicians who know that executive function and self-regulation skills precede the ability to learn academic content are eager to better understand how to incorporate activities and lessons to raise brain literacy and improve academic and behavioral outcomes. Yet, there are very few brain literacy courses that provide actionable activities teachers, parents, and clinicians to begin to use on the spot!
- With our NEW ENGAGE course we are aiming to improve access to executive function research & education in combination with cognition engagement activities that can be done as fast as in 30 seconds or as long as 30 minutes, it’s up to the educator.
The ENGAGE 6-hour online (watch at your leisure) Masterclass provides you with practical ready-to-use content for students who experience challenges with:
This Masterclass offers content built over 30 years with thousands of educators, parents, and students:
- 14 Sections of Easy-To-Understand Lessons, Strategies & Activities
- Developmentally Progressive Activities from PreK-6th Grade
- Immediate strategies to better understand and intervene with children who have learning and behavior challenges grades PreK-6th Grade
- Cutting edge cognitive-movement activities to improve learning, attention, and behaviour
Cognitive coaching strategies with downloads + printables to help your students become the “Best Coaches” for their own brains!
The executive function skills and activities we have developed with students and educators are based on over 100 empirical studies. Read the research here:
Coordinative Cognitive Movement Engages Cognition and Memory
Why is Learning to Move to a Beat Important?
What is Preliteracy – Really?
Since 1985, from Los Angeles to Boston, Dr. Kenney has been teaching learning strategies to Title I and High-Need Students. These strategies and activities are currently used by over 5000 teachers for in-person and online education in 35 classrooms in 25 countries.
Email us for a course discount coupon or to make this MasterClass available to your most motivated Title I school educators and clinicians. We have the science to improve the trajectory of children’s learning we are happy to answer your questions and provide valuable resources. Together we can improve cognition in this complicated time, firstname.lastname@example.org.